Victim’s Services

The South Carolina Constitution Declares Certain Rights To The Victims Of Crimes

To preserve and protect victims’ rights to justice and due process regardless of race, sex, age, religion, economic status, victims of crime have the right to:

  • Be treated with fairness, respect and dignity

  • Be free from intimidation or harm throughout the criminal and juvenile justice process

  • Be informed about victims’ rights

  • Be reasonably informed about criminal proceedings

  • Be informed if the accused is arrested, released or escapes

  • Confer with the prosecution before the case is heard in court

  • Be present at criminal proceedings where the accused has the right to be present

  • Be heard at proceedings affecting bond, bail, release, pleas, or sentencing

  • Have reasonable access to documents relating to the crime before trial

  • Receive restitution from the adult or juvenile offenders

  • A reasonable, prompt and final conclusion of the case

The Victim’s Services Program of the Fourth Judicial Circuit of South Carolina provide victims and witnesses of crimes with an advocate (Victim-Witness Service Provider) to offer support, information and assistance as their case makes its way through the criminal justice system.  The journey through the system can be confusing and frustrating.  We are here to help you with every step.  

The Victim-Witness Service Providers:

  • Inform victims of their rights

  • Provide emotional and moral support

  • Provide case updates and court dates

  • Provide courtroom orientation and support while attending court

  • Provide assistance in completing forms and statements

  • Arrange counseling, if needed

  • Attempt restitution of victim compensation, if eligible

  • Act as a liaison between order agencies, such as police and investigators


If you are a victim of a crime or a witness to one, your assistance is vital- it is only with your help that criminals can be brought to justice.

In the unfortunate event that you or a family member becomes a victim of a criminal act, first contact your local police department to report the crime.   You may have fears regarding your involvement in the case.  Contact us for support.  

Our office has dedicated Providers for general sessions and juvenile cases to educate you on your rights and extend compassion for any fears or concerns you may have.